Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Whitman College Theatre Sports (WCTS)

Set in the backdrop of Walla Walla, WA, Whitman College Theatre Sports was where I first started my ridiculous descent into improv comedy. I remember going to the tryouts freshmen year a complete and utter wreck, nervous to shit that I'd mess everything up. Turns out my beard was so long that scratching it awkwardly was funny enough to make it through to the team, and I was ecstatic. We were a short form troupe. That is true, meaning we'd do games much like Who's Line, and honestly I'd be lying if I said I didn't love doing it at the time. I've grown a love for long form improv, but when I began I loved being able to play party quirks and alphabet... and I wouldn't trade it for anything in college.

Theatre Sports got to meet some extremely influential people in my life, including my good friend and long time writing partner Stephen, it helped me hone how to make shit up in front of audiences and it indirectly made me quit a fraternity, which looking back was one of the better decisions of my life.

I loved Theatre Sports. And it'll always have a place in my heart.

And yes that is a photo from a show where we would dunk our heads in water. We were high class.

No comments:

Post a Comment